Hemp Hearts are becoming increasingly popular in the market. After reading this blog…you will understand why!
What are Hemp Hearts?
Hemp Hearts are small seeds, also referred to as Hemp Seed Hearts or Hemp Seeds, with a delicious nutty flavour and are packed with protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fatty acids such as omegas 3&6.
Right off the bat I am going to mention one important point: Hemp Hearts do not contain any THC or CBD, so there is no psychoactive component to these nutrient-packed small seeds.
What’s unique about Hemp Hearts is the protein content. Proteins serve many vital functions in the body, but their main function is to supply amino acids for the growth and maintenance of healthy tissue. Hemp protein contains all 20 amino acids, including a sufficient supply of the 9 essential ones which our bodies cannot produce (hence the term “essential”). It also lacks a specific type of carbohydrate which is notorious for causing abdominal discomfort and gas.
Hemp Hearts are rich in:
▪️ Vitamin E
▪️ B vitamins
Health Benefits of Hemp Hearts include:
▪️ Brain and nervous system support
▪️ Cardiovascular support
▪️ Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity
▪️ Improves skin conditions
▪️ Provides immune support
▪️ Aids digestion
In case you were wondering, yes, Hemp Seed Oil comes from Hemp Hearts. So, if you’re already using Hemp Seed Oil in your soups, salads and smoothies, you may be wondering if there would be nutritional value added in introducing Hemp Hemps to your diet as well. The answer is: ABSOLUTELY!
The reason is because Hemp Seed Oil is cold pressed from Hemp Seeds, and although the omegas are well preserved in the process, the content of fibre and protein is not. It is important to note that the oil contains a higher, more balanced ratio of omegas compared to the seeds, while the seeds contain a richer profile of fibre and protein. Consuming both daily therefore offers optimal benefit.
* (Excuse the side note but if you are taking Hemp Seed Oil, please know that it must be refrigerated after opening and should not be used to cook with as high temperatures destroy the nutrient content.)*
If you are looking to buy Hemp Hearts, here are some reasons you should consider Dr. D’s Hemp Hearts!
1) Guaranteed freshness. We offer guaranteed freshness as our Hemp Hearts are only processed on demand, when ordered. Until then the hearts remain in the hull(shell), preventing exposure and oxidation, in order to preserve the integrity, taste and nutritional value of the final product.
2) We only use the highest standard of cultivating protocols. We use UV-C lights instead of the classic irradiation method to prevent contamination as the classic method damages the enzymes and proteins of the seeds. The use of UV-C lights to eliminate pathogens/bacteria is considered to be the safest method to eliminate pathogens while maintaining the integrity of the crop, producing only the highest of quality seeds: a live food rich in enzymes and proteins. This allows for optimal absorption and nutritional benefit.
3) Our traceability program. Traceability is a method which tracks a product from production to consumption. It allows transparency across the platforms from the farms to your kitchen table and helps to ensure standards and regulations are upheld. Having a sound traceability program therefore improves food safety control as issues can easily be detected and rectified. See our blog on our traceability program of turmeric for more information on this topic.
4) We are home-grown! We only use Canadian-grown Hemp Seeds and never outsource our seeds from outside of Canada. We are Health Canada Licensed and our seeds are grown and processed by approved cultivars in Peterborough, Ontario!
Dr. D’s Hemp Hearts are Raw Shelled and Ready to Eat! Simply sprinkle on yogurt, soups and salads or add to dips and smoothies for an easy way to get your daily dose of protein, fibre and vitamins! Enjoy!